Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Friday, February 4, 2011

Goreyana: The Doom of the Haunted Opera

Notes from Goreyana about The Doom of the Haunted Opera:
The book was published in 1995 by Dial Books for Young Readers and features a wraparound dust jacket design and frontis illustration by Edward Gorey. The back cover of the dust jacket is particularly colorful. Using a dream sequence for inspiration (don't most dreams play out in black and white?), Lewis and Rose Rita are shown being set upon by headless opera goers and bats!

When this book was published, I was offered the three pieces of original artwork by Mr. Gorey. Unfortunately, at this time the prices for Mr. Gorey's art were jumping significantly - in fact the price for this art was double what earlier art from the series had been priced at just two years previously - so I could not add this art to my collection. I do still have the full size xeroxes sent to me by Gotham Book Mart.

No comments: