Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Something About Squirrel Appreciation Day

Sciuridae Scurrying Day

When I saw today would be squirrel appreciation day I shrugged my shoulders and almost said "nuts to this" aloud. Then I remembered Jim Lehmer's selection for the best punch line in a fantasy book.

It seems likely to me John Bellairs owned, or just as likely saw, a "small carved squirrel" though whether it had "a note in its two buck teeth" seems too good to be true. It does remind me of a story about Sarah, or Sairey, Gamp and I'll dig it out of the archives and share in the days ahead.

Anyway, to add something sustainable to this story I'll share this story from Roadside America about the mecca of the albino squirrels, Olney, Illinois:
Olney is one of a handful of lucky (and often combative) towns with a self-sustaining colony of bushy-tailed albinos, rather than the occasional ragged white freak. [...] The Chamber offers a decent selection of souvenirs (though they were out of their popular white chocolate squirrel suckers when we visited), as well as a guide to prime viewing locations, feeding tips to avoid bites, and a list of snack suggestions. Early morning and late afternoon are recommended as the best squirrel spotting times, but anyone with a half-empty bag of crunchy chips and a little patience can see one at any hour of the day, or so we've been told.

No comments: