Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Thursday, August 22, 1996

CompleatBellairs: Brad Strickland Commentary

CompleatBellairs
by Brad Strickland (Aug. 22, 1996)
(Originally published at the compleatbellairs.com)
The Hand of the Necromancer is now officially published; I saw copies of it in an Atlanta Barnes & Noble over the weekend. I'm hoping it will show up nationally this week or next.

You might want to put this on the page somewhere (or an edited version thereof):

My editor at Dial asked me to propose some new story lines, and I sent her six. One I pushed hard for was The Trail of the Time Trolley, a sequel to The Trolley to Yesterday--but, alas, she didn't like the story line (partly because Trolley isn't one of her favorite Bellairs books). As a result, the tentative agreement is for me to do two more Lewis/Rose Rita books and one more Johnny Dixon.

The first Lewis/Rose Rita book will deal with the iron bridge that Elihu Clabbernong built in the 19th century to keep a ghost (or was it something even nastier?) from crossing a river; and the second book concerns the magician's museum, patterned on the actual American Museum of Magic in Marshall, Michigan. 

The Johnny Dixon one will take Johnny and his father (and then later Professor Childermass) south to the Gulf coast of Florida, where a restless ghost almost gets his hooks into the Major. Although my editor turned down the Time Trolley idea, there's always a chance that Brewster might show up. After all, he is a god of Upper and Lower Egypt, and if a voodoo priestess called for help, he just might answer. Anyway, as I say, these are the tentative projects. Frank will make any suggestions he might have, and then we'll see. I'll let you know as soon as we've signed a contract.

No comments: