Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Greetings From Barnavelt House

Barnavelt House (Sims)
If you’re into the Sims games, stop by Mt. Geneva and visit Barnavelt House, a rendering partly inspired by the Cronin House in Marshall, Michigan by Sims fan Jen:
Just down the road from Berthiaume Manor is Barnavelt House. I based it on an Italianate Victorian I saw in a magazine, Cronin House in Marshall, Michigan. The cool thing is that when I googled that house, I found out it had been the one that inspired children’s author John Bellairs when he wrote The House with a Clock in its Walls. I remember the Bellairs books fondly from my childhood, so I named my Sims 2 house after the main character, Lewis Barnavelt.

As I was creating the house, I thought it might look good sort of run-down and haunted, so I tried to make the wallpaper look disheveled (which isn’t easy given the wallpapers in Sims 2) and put “weeds” (really just bamboo trees) in the front yard. I actually like the floor plan (although I wish we had spiral stairs so the tower would be accessible), so I might have one of my families move in at some point and “remodel”. :-)
Spectacular work, though I’d wager it needs a healthy dose of Izard wallpaper to make it compleat.

Right.

No comments: