Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Review: Treasure "Wouldn’t Recommend If You’ve Never Read Bellairs Before – At Least Not At First"

Book review: The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn

John Bellairs is one of my favorite authors - I love the Lewis Barnavelt series - and Brad Strickland, who became his ghostwriter after Mr. Bellairs died, isn’t so bad either. Unfortunately The Treasure of Alpheus Winterborn wasn’t as good as some of his other books. It’s not bad, but it’s just a little bit too 1970's to be completely enjoyable.

Actually, my favorite thing about the book was the illustrations by Judith Gwyn Brown sprinkled throughout. She did the cover on my edition, too, and it’s utterly beautiful.

I wouldn’t recommend reading this if you’ve never read John Bellairs before– at least not at first– but I suppose if you’re a Bellairs fan it’s not such a bad book to check out. And even though I didn’t particularly like it, I am super happy to have it in my collection.

Apparently this is the first book of a series, and the rest of the series has supernatural elements! So the next book might turn out to be better than this one. Hm. I’ll check it out and let you know!

No comments: