Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Something About Little Books

Ian C. shared some comments earlier this month about "little books".
One of the kinds of geek I am is the sort who digs small books. I don't know whence it comes, perhaps from John Bellairs' The Face in the Frost, or perhaps from The Mephisto Waltz (the novel, not the movie...) but the image of the small, hide-able book of spells and magicks is at least as juicy for me as the Gigantic Tome of Eldritch Whatever - which I dig too, but which is harder to carry around. It was portability I was after when I did my first pocket grimoire, using a small common sketchbook. I started that book in the mid-80s, and was finishing the filling of it in the early 90s, as I moved into the Druidic ritual forms. It got a lot of real use, and wear. Note that it's been cunningly rebound in black duct-tape.

He further notes the capacity to create readable and editable pages on a computer and use publish-on-demand services have all but rendered something like Prospero's little book of spells obsolete. 

No comments: