Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Something About the Nine Worthies

Number nine.

It seemed rare, but I recall boasting a bit to myself when I had read a Bellairs book and found something I already knew about. I had not heard of some of the historic names appearing up in the text, but I knew who the Nine Worthies were.

I forget where or when I first read about the group. At first glance it seemed so magical: who were these nine people and what were they worthy of? And why these nine people? On a related note, I remember reading and memorizing the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and impressing no one (or less) as I rattled off the half dozen-plus-one list of items.

Johnny Dixon knew who the Nine Worthies were and came upon a statue of one, Godfrey de Bouillon, in the Glomus Mansion as told in The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (1983). I knew who Godfrey was when his name popped up as I suffered through reading The Da Vinci Code. Still, I don’t know if Godfrey is my favorite. Does anyone have a favorite?

 

1 comment:

Russ said...

The list seems a little random to me. I mean this group of nine never even met so it is hard to call them a group. And all got on the list because of what had been written about them. Maybe they just had good publicists! I mean they are not like the magnificent seven that were all together and accomplished a great (or at least good) deed. And I am sure some were more worthy than others.