Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Monday, January 9, 2006

Review: Weatherend "Atmosphere...Is Creepy And A Little Chilling"

Book review: The Dark Secret of Weatherend

I had a good feeling about this book as soon as I saw that the cover and frontispiece were drawn by Edward Gorey (one of my all time favourite twisted people), and I was not disappointed.

The story moves along flawlessly, with just enough surprises to keep it interesting as the heroes discover -- and then try to stop -- the villian's ghastly plan to destroy the world through his ability to control weather. The atmosphere Bellairs creates is creepy and a little chilling -- even to my jaded sensitivities. The author effortlessly creates strong visual impressions and I am surprised at how often these images have returned to me since finishing this book.

There is also something nice about the oddity of the main characters, a 14 year-old boy and his best friend -- a 68 year-old lady. Their relationship adds a level of maturity to the book that is not always present when the main characters are all young adults. Bellairs definitely does not talk down to his intended audience, thereby making the book just as readable for adults. So, wait for a dark and stormy night, grab a blanket and a flashlight and enjoy this eerie mystery.
 
Margo MacDonald

No comments: