Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Sunday, March 14, 2021

Something About an Ancient Roman Stylus

Post scriptum.

Thank you notes!  You'll recall yesterday how I said Dalcy recommended I try something new.  Her suggestion?  Thank you notes!  To whom, and why, I don't know.  That I should spend a moment and thank individuals for who-knows-what is fine and good, but I haven't seen many people in recent weeks (or months) and what few people I have encountered noticeably shrink away from me when I approach.  So, thank you for running away from me?

This reminds me.  I did find an article about an archeological dig a decade ago, uncovering some 14,000 artifacts --

including this exciting find! This stylus or pen’s inscription was exceptionally difficult to read, partly due to corrosion and is only legible due to the work by conservators.

Brittany Britanniae notes on the Latin Language blog how she broke down the translation:

‘ab urbe v[e]n[i] munus tibi gratum adf(e)ro
acul[eat]um ut habe[a]s memor[ia]m nostra(m)
rogo si fortuna dar[e]t quo possem
largius ut longa via ceu sacculus est (v)acuus’

I'll let you click and read one full translation and then a shorten, more to the (ahem) point, version.

Here's another translation.  Maybe I can use this in these silly thank you notes?

No comments: