Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Something About Corduroy Trousers

Whoosh-Whoosh-Flap.

Here's another entry in an old discussion on The House With a Clock in its Walls (1973) and another thing I wonder if readers today understand. Lewis wears corduroy trousers - "the kind that go whip-whip when you walk."

I wore corduroy trousers once.  Ages ago.  The less said the better.  Still, I wondered if contemporary readers were aware of the noise corduroy pants were associated with and its seems it's still a thing.  Don't take my experience for it; read these other fine commentators:

Blogger CeCe Olisa:
  • The "chub rub."
  • “Zhut, zhut, zhut.” That is the sound corduroy makes when it rubs together while one is walking. It is a noise, not a word…but I’ve done my best to create the word for you, spelled phonetically. I wanted to include a sound clip for educational purposes, but no dice. It is my firm belief that no garment ever be so loud that it makes you conscious of your every move.
Someone on the Dappered Threads message board:
  • Just bought my first pair of corduroy pants in a long time. But wearing them now, I remember the annoying swish-swosh sound. Any way to get rid of that? Between the swishing and the clicking of leather soles, I feel borderline-obnoxiously loud.
Jon Moy even goes as far as to ask: Do Corduroy Shirts Make The Same Noise As Corduroy Pants

I wonder how self-conscious Lewis is wearing such noising apparel in public. Does anyone have their own memories of wearing such things?

1 comment:

Russ said...

I well remember wearing Corduroy pants when I was in Junior High School and probably into High School also. I was not able to get blue jeans that would fit because of my short legs. I am not especially short, but my legs are short and my upper body is fairly tall so it has given me some issues getting clothes that fit well. I can remember the sound the new Corduroy pants made when I was walking. If you were in a hurry and walking fast the sound got louder. After a few washings the sounds seemed to get less noticeable.