Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Something About Poppin’ Eyes


A sucker is seen every minute

S.D. Schindler’s cover art for The Tower at the End of the World doesn’t show all the figures on Gnomon Island but it does include the eyeball, one of three glass spheres standing on the well-trimmed lawn. In looking at the cover recently I laughed when I realize what it reminded me of. And so, since I was told I was a bit harsh on Halloween yesterday, I’m going to try and redeem myself. I present you Cassie Best's recipe for eerie eyeball pops. You’ll need the following:
  • 100g/4oz madeira cake
  • 100g Oreo cookie
  • 100g bar milk chocolate, melted
  • 200g bar white chocolate, melted
  • Smarties and icing pens, to decorate 
  • 10 wooden skewers
Onward to the steps:
  1. Break the Madeira cake and cookies into the bowl of a food processor, pour in the melted milk chocolate and whizz to combine.
  2. Tip the mixture into a bowl, then use your hands to roll into about 10 walnut-sized balls. Chill for 2 hrs until really firm.
  3. Push a skewer into each ball, then carefully spoon the white chocolate over the cake balls to completely cover. Stand the cake pops in the pumpkin, then press a Smartie onto the surface while wet. Chill again until the chocolate has set. Before serving, using the icing pens, add a pupil to each Smartie and wiggly red veins to the eyeballs.
I’ll leave it to you to find recipes mirroring a spray of iron poles, stone pillars, gallows, and lightning bolts. Once you have your figures, mix green food coloring with shredded coconut to make grass and boom – you have your field! Your Barnavelt edible adventure is almost compleat!

Happy Halloween!

No comments: