Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Monday, October 19, 2020

Something About the Mood of Bellairsian Autumns

Autumnal fun

The teeming autumn....

It’s beginning to look a lot like autumn. It always does this time of year and I suppose I’ll need to start getting the machinery ready to gather, mulch, and depose of leaves. And then sit back with some cider and watch more leaves fall. Repeat. And so on.

Leta Lestrange wrote a few years ago about how this time of year always gets her in the mood for books from the Bellairs Corpus:
John Bellairs stories and autumn weather seem to go hand in hand for me. Though many of his books take place in multiple seasons, the quintessential Bellairs weather for me will always be crisp fall evenings.

I am looking for recommendations: what are some of your favorite books, films or television programs that evoke the same sort of mood of adventure and mystery as Bellairs was so great at creating? I recently read a very old book entitled Buddy and the Secret Cave by Howard Garis (1934). I also read a Nancy Drew Book called The Clue in the Crumbling Wall (1945) by Carolyn Keene.

Though both books were charming in their way, I was left feeling disappointed because they both had a saccharine quality to them. It made me appreciate Bellairs so much more. His characters were flawed, vulnerable and easy to relate to. 

Who can offer up a few suggestions for Ms. Lestrange and the rest of us fans?

No comments: