Featured Post

An Interview With Simon Loxley

Friday, October 30, 2020

Something About Turnips


You light up my life.

It’s been decades since I’ve carved a jack-o'-lantern. Dalcy reminds me when we did we kept ours for only a few days before quickly retiring it to the kitchen for breads and pies and a number of other goodies not suffixed with “spice”. Father Varnt – God bless him – once brought in a “spice-less” pie he concocted. It was a pie without cloves, nutmeg, ginger, or allspice and without much flavor. It was just dreadful and we let him know it, too.

I read recently about how the carving of vegetables was common practice in many parts of the world in centuries past. Instead of gourds, people (I’m looking your way, Ireland) may have used turnips. I can imagine cutting one to look like a face but making it a lantern seems difficult. Or did Ireland have large turnips? And of course turning it into turnip pie sounds beyond dreadful. (Which perhaps is what Varnt tried to force feed us years ago....hmmm.)

Anyone carving anything this holiday season?

The above veg looks how I feel about this holiday. Let’s get it over with.

No comments: